Adventurous Activities 

Activities are an integral part of Scouting, and what makes it so exciting for the young people involved. From here you should be able to find all the information you need to provide all the activities your young people can manage. 

Find an activity 

As a starting point we would suggest you look at the A-Z of Activities under Find an activity. This is designed to link you to all the information you need to run any particular activity, and to give you new ideas of activities you could run. 

Activity permits 

Our members may require an Activity Permit to lead some of our more adventurous activities.  The ‘A Clear Process’ guide is a resource that aims to explain how to access adventurous activities within Scouting and how you could work towards providing more experiences. It’s not a one-stop-shop for everything you need to know but hopefully, it will help you understand the first steps you need to take 

Activity Permit Application Process 

The County Activity Permit Scheme is managed by the Manager of the Activity Permit Scheme (MAPS) who has a team of assessor. Applications for permits are made to, and processed by, this team.

If you would like to apply for a new permit, or renew an existing permit:

Click here to complete Adventurous Activity Permit Application Form  download it, fill it in and send it to

Once submitted, this will be reviewed by the MAPS who will assign you to a County Assessor.

In the meantime, you may receive an email asking you to submit relevant further documentation, such as more information on your log book of experience or copies of your NGB certificates if you have them.

Once assigned to a County Assessor, they will be in touch to discuss the ‘technical’ elements of your application; which will involve an assessment day(s), unless you have the necessary valid NGB qualifications.

Once the technical assessment is complete, and any restrictions agreed upon, the Assessor will add this to your Compass records, for approval by your District Commissioner or County Commissioner.

Only when the Permit is granted by the relevant Commissioner, will you have a valid Activity Permit.

Please remember – if you think you have a permit, but it isn’t recorded on Compass, then it is not valid. The only valid Activity Permits are those recorded against your personal record within Compass. 

If you wish to know more or have any questions then please get in touch with them via


 SplAShU! is an Active Support Unit of water sports enthusiasts who provide water sport experience events to all Scouting sections.

What do we do?

  • Kayaking
  • Canoeing
  • Sea Kayaking
  • Stand up paddle boards
  • Sit ons
  • Sailing – single handers and larger craft
  • Safety boat 
  • We also run expeditions that combine some of these activities with walking and lightweight camping.
  • We have our social weekends, usually based around the water
  • We have our own programme of training for our members

How can we help you?

We can provide water activity support at events organised by groups and districts. 

We offer advice, training and assessment leading towards Scout permits, badges and qualifications that help you get your group on the water. Our team includes instructors and coaches in canoeing, kayaking, sailing, powerboating, cruising and bell boating and has experience of working with all Scout sections.

Where do we operate – right across the County and further afield.

How can you get involved?

Membership of SplAShU! is open to anyone over 18, with many people combining it with other roles.  We always need help both on and off the water and welcome new members who want to build their water skills and we can provide support and some funding for that.

Look out for the opportunities that come up on West Lancs plus.

Where can you find out more?

For further information, to enquire about help running activities or to join the team, email